As Miley Cyrus' new single Wrecking Ball continues to make headlines, HELLO! Canada Online gives you ten facts about Disney's most successful star...
1. Miley was born Destiny Hope Cyrus but was given the nickname "Smiley" by her father when she was little. Over time the singer's moniker was shortened and she officially changed her name to Miley Ray Cyrus in 2008.
2. Show business runs in Miley's family and her father Billy Ray Cyrus is a country music singer and her godmother is Dolly Parton.
2. Miley suffers from a non-life-threatening heart condition called tachycardia which means that her resting heart rate can excel more rapidly than normal.
3. Growing up on a ranch in Tennessee, Miley started riding horses at the age of just two. As a youngster Miley reportedly used to braid her horses' tails and once said in an interview that it was one of the things she missed most about not living in the southeastern state anymore.
4. In 2004, a 12-year-old Miley beat 1,000 hopefuls to land the role that would launch her career in the hit Disney show Hannah Montana. In the series Miley played a young pop superstar who hides her celebrity identity to enjoy her life like a normal teenager.
To accommodate filming Miley and her family relocated to LA in 2005 as Billy Ray Cyrus was also involved in the show and played her fictional dad and manager.
5. Soon after making her appearance on the small screen, Miley began to launch her musical career and signed a deal with Disney. In 2007 Miley's double-disc record entitled Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus became a huge success.
The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 and sold 326,000 copies in the first week. The record was later certified triple-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
6. With her acting and music career well underway, Miley released her autobiography Miles to Go in 2009.
The book provided fans with an inside look at Miley's personal life and included previously unseen photos and family stories.
8. Miley is a big supporter of gay rights and in 2011 she got a tattoo of an equals sign on her right ring finger to symbolise her belief in equality for gay people.
9. During filming for romance drama The Last Song in 2009 Miley began a relationship with her co-star, Liam Hemsworth. Miley announced her engagement to the Hunger Games actor in June 2012 although the pair have since had an on-off relationship.
Miley and Liam were last photographed on the red carpet together in August when they attended the Paranoia premiere.
10. Miley's latest single Wrecking Ball helped to break online video provider Vevo's records. The controversial music video received over 19million views in the first 24 hours.
"Wrecking Ball has officially beat the @VEVO record," tweeted Miley. "Thank you smilerzzzzz."