As Canadians continue to react to CBC's firing of its biggest radio star Jian Ghomeshi, his story is making headlines around the world.
Britain's Daily Mail, Australia's Sydney Morning Herald and the Washington Post are among the international news outlets reporting on Jian's departure from the CBC, amid his own detailed revelations about his personal life.
The CBC cut ties with Jian on Sunday. Photo: © Getty
The venerable Canadian broadcaster cut ties with the Toronto-based Q host on Oct. 26 without explaining the reason. "Information came to our attention [that] precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian," said CBC spokesperson Chuck Thompson.
But Jian, 47, did not hold back. "I've been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer," he wrote Sunday in a lengthy and very personal Facebook post.
This was followed by a Toronto Star article in which several women alleged that Jian had been physically violent or inappropriate while dating them. He maintains he is innocent of any wrongdoing. "I have always been interested in a variety of activities in the bedroom," he wrote on Facebook, "but I only participate in sexual practices that are mutually agreed upon [and] consensual."
Canadians have been mixed in their reaction to the news; many have taken to Twitter to voice support for Jian.
This has been a turbulent period for the former Moxy Fruvous band member, who had been the voice of CBC's pop-culture radio show since 2006. He lost his father a few weeks ago and shared his feelings with listeners just before he was let go from the CBC.
Jian officially filed a $55 million lawsuit against the CBC on Monday, citing "breach of confidence and bad faith."
Meanwhile, Q's acting host Brent Bambury urged listeners to stick with the show. “I know … this is a very hard day,” he said Monday. "We move forward. I hope you'll come with us."