Serves 4 to 8
- 2¾ cups dry white wine
- 1¾ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, juiced lemon reserved
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves, peeled
- 4 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 large or 6 medium artichokes
- crusty bread, for serving
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the wine, vegetable oil, olive oil, lemon juice, 2 reserved lemon halves, salt, garlic cloves, thyme, oregano, peppercorns and crushed red pepper.
- Working with one artichoke at a time, and rubbing the cuts with the insides of the remaining lemon halves as you go, trim a bit off the stem end of the artichokes. Cut off and discard the top third of the artichokes. Pull or trim away any discoloured outer leaves. Using kitchen scissors, trim the thorns off the tips of any remaining outer whole leaves. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the tough outer layer of the stems. Cut each trimmed artichoke into quarters and then cut out and discard the furry choke. As you finish each piece, immediately place it into the wine-olive oil mixture in the slow cooker (to help prevent discoloration). Once finished with all the artichokes, press them into the liquid to submerge them as much as possible.
- Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or until the leaves easily pull away and the hearts are very tender.
- Serve the artichoke hearts slightly warm or at room temperature, with some of the cooking liquid drizzled over them and crusty bread alongside.
“I’m still trying to take the intimidation factor out of cooking,” Emeril Lagasse tells Hello! Canada. His latest cause: to showcase the versatility of kitchen tools. In his 18th cookbook, Emeril’s Cooking With Power, he shares 100-plus recipes for the slow cooker, multi cooker, pressure cooker and deep fryer that are easy and surprising. Don’t have one of these kitchen time savers? No worries – Emeril includes a handy buying guide. – Chris Daniels
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.