Chef Fabio Viviani was voted fan favourite on Top Chef and has restaurants in L.A. and Chicago. Now Fabio shares 125 of his favourite American dishes in Fabio’s American Home Kitchen. (It’s out Oct. 21 but can be pre-ordered at Chapters Indigo.)
He’s also creating the menu for the Children’s Aid Foundation’s Teddy Bear Affair gala in Toronto on Nov. 1 (tickets are still available).
“I’m trying to figure out how to be a restaurateur there,” he tells Hello! “Toronto has a great culinary scene!”
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 lb orecchiette
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Cut the tomatoes in half, seed and chop them roughly.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until it is crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the jalapenos, onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until nicely caramelized.
- Add the tomatoes and thyme to the pan, then season to taste with salt and pepper and add the tarragon. Turn the heat down very low to keep the sauce warm while you make the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the orecchiette and cook until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta, return it to the pot and add the sauce. Stir to combine then drizzle with olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Mix in the pecorino and serve.