Recipe by: Ricardo Larrivée
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup chicken broth (or apple juice)
- 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bacon in the oil. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel. Keep the rendered bacon fat in the skillet.
- Brown the Brussels sprouts in the hot fat. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the skillet with the broth. Whisk in the mustard and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated. Adjust the seasoning.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with the bacon. Optional: Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans or almonds.
Ricardo Larrivée calls his new English-language magazine “a turning point” for good reason. His wife, Brigitte, who runs his Montreal-based food empire Ricardo Media, recently recovered from breast cancer. “The ordeal suddenly gave our work a whole new purpose: to use food to bond people together through good and bad times,” the chef explains. Now they’re doing so coast to coast – “something we’ve aspired to for many years.” – Chris Daniels
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.