- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 9 oz best-quality shortcrust pastry
- 7 oz Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 2 ½ oz membrillo (quince paste), cut into 3/8-inch dice
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Toss the squash with the oil, ¼ tsp salt and some black pepper and spread the cubes out on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Set aside to cool and turn down the oven temperature to 375° F.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the pastry to about ¹⁄8-inch thick and transfer it to a 9½-inch quiche pan or fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. When lining, leave some pastry hanging over the edge. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Line the pastry shell with parchment paper, fill it with dried beans or pie weights and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and continue to bake for 10 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Spread the roasted squash in the cooled pastry shell, dot the Stilton cheese between the pieces, and sprinkle the membrillo over the top. Place the eggs, cream and crème fraîche in a bowl with ¼ tsp salt and some black pepper. Whisk together then pour mixture over the squash, leaving some of the filling exposed. Place in the oven until the custard has set, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest before removing from the pan and breaking off the hanging pastry. Serve warm or at room temperature.
While Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson are still the biggest food stars in London, Yotam Ottolenghi is winning more fans all the time for his eponymous restaurants and best-selling cookbooks Ottolenghi, Jerusalem and Plenty, in which vegetables are the main attraction. Now Yotam is showing us more with Plenty More, a collection of 150 mouth-watering recipes that aim to change how we cook and eat veggies. – Chris Daniels
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.