Serves 27 Oreo Pops and 24 Rice Krispies hearts
- 1 pkg original Oreo cookies
- 1 recipe prepared Rice Krispies treats, as per the cereal box instructions
- 3 lb white coating chocolate
- blue and pink food colouring
- coarse sugar and edible glitter
- white lollipop sticks for the Oreos
- Remove the Oreos from the box and insert a lollipop stick in the centre of each cookie. Place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Cut the Rice Krispies squares into hearts and place them on the tray.
- Meanwhile, place the white chocolate in a bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Ensure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water and stir the chocolate constantly to avoid burning it. Once fully melted, divide the chocolate into two bowls and add a bit of food colouring to each bowl and mix.
- Dip all the Oreo suckers, three times each, in a bowl of the coloured chocolate. Each time you dip the Oreos make sure the chocolate has fully set from the previous dip before dipping again. Dip half of each Rice Krispies heart in the chocolate as well.
- After the pieces have been dipped the third time, sprinkle them with coarse sugar. To make decorative icing lines, spoon the chocolate into a disposable piping bag. Cut a small hole in the tip of the piping bag and drizzle the chocolate over all the Oreos or Rice Krispies hearts. Before the chocolate drizzle sets, top the items with the sprinkles as desired.
Success has tasted very sweet for Allyson Bobbitt and Sarah Bell, who opened their Toronto pastry shop, Bobbette & Belle, more than four years ago in Leslieville. They just opened a second location in the Yonge and Lawrence area. “We have the goal of providing customers with sweets that have a nostalgic taste and feel, but take that experience to the next level,” says Sarah, who was formerly the head pastry chef for Canoe. That includes its cute open-air shops, which are decorated with fine china on the walls and Parisian-style furniture. “Every element in the shop, from the pastry to the smallest décor details, are selected by us and truly represent what we love,” says Allyson. In fact, many of the shop’s most decadent morsels have been handed down from Allyson’s Nana, including melt-in-your-mouth shortbread and scones.
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.