- ¼ cup butter
- 3 leeks, white parts only, sliced
- 4 parsnips or turnips, peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 large yellow potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 Gala apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup 10% cream
- 1 parsnip or small turnip, peeled and thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsnips and cook 5 more minutes. Add broth, water, potatoes, apples, parsley and thyme. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Toss parsnip ribbons with oil. Arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. (If using turnip, add 2 to 4 more minutes.)
- Purée soup in batches in a blender. Return soup to pot. Stir in cream. Season with pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsnip chips.
There are 35 harvest recipes, including one for a gorgeous, casual Thanksgiving spread, in the October issue of Chatelaine. Our sister magazine stands behind each one with its Triple Tested Guarantee.
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.