- • 4 chicken breasts, with skin and bone
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • salt and pepper, to taste
- • 1 red pepper, julienned
- • ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- • 1½ cups Arborio rice
- • 3 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- • ¾ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot, brown the chicken in the oil over medium-high heat, about 2 to 3 minutes per side, seasoning both sides with salt and pepper. You want the chicken to be a nice golden-brown colour.
- Add the red pepper and sauté until it starts to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and rice and combine with the other ingredients, browning the rice slightly.
- Add the chicken stock and bring
to a boil, then reduce to medium-low
heat and continue cooking until
the rice and chicken are cooked,
about 25 to 35 minutes, checking
occasionally and stirring the rice so
it does not stick. Or you can bake
the dish in a
385° F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 8 to 10 minutes so it doesn’t stick.
- Serve it straight out of the pot or on a platter. Garnish with the fresh parsley and lots of salt and cracked pepper.
Mary Jo Eustace, 53, titled her new cookbook Scared Wheatless because she didn’t adopt gluten-free cooking until she was diagnosed with cellulitis and her daughter, Lola, 10, with an autoimmune disorder. The health scare was a wake-up call for the former TV host, who also has a son, Jack, 17, with ex-husband Dean McDermott. Mary Jo is thrilled to report they’re now both doing well – and loving the dishes, too! – Chris Daniels
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.