- • 1 onion, chopped
- • ½ cup green onions, chopped
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- • 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (depending on how much heat you like)
- • 3 cups shredded chicken
- • 2 cups black beans, cooked
- • 2 cups chopped tomato
- • 6½ cups gluten-free chicken stock
- • 2 limes, juiced
- • 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- • salt and pepper, to taste
- • 2 cups shredded corn tortillas or corn chips
- • 1 cup sour cream
- • 1 to 2 avocados, diced
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onions and green onions in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic and jalapeno and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and coat well with the onion mixture..
- Add the beans, tomato, stock, lime juice, and half the coriander, and bring to a boil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, until the soup has started to thicken. Then add the rest of the coriander and season again.
- Serve in individual bowls with a bed of crumbled corn tortillas or corn chips, a dollop of sour cream and diced avocado. Add a sprinkling of coriander and let your guests to mix up all the fresh goodness.
Mary Jo Eustace, 53, titled her new cookbook Scared Wheatless because she didn’t adopt gluten-free cooking until she was diagnosed with cellulitis and her daughter, Lola, 10, with an autoimmune disorder. The health scare was a wake-up call for the former TV host, who also has a son, Jack, 17, with ex-husband Dean McDermott. Mary Jo is thrilled to report they’re now both doing well – and loving the dishes, too! – Chris Daniels
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.