- • 6 soft mini corn tortillas
- • 2 lbs black cod
- • 1 tsp each of chili powder, paprika, onion powder, sea salt, garlic powder, ground cumin, dry oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper
- • ¼ cup olive oil
- • 1 tbsp olive oil, for pan frying
- Mix spices, oil and garlic in a bowl. Rub and coat cod with it.
- Sear cod 3 to 4 minutes on both sides, in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Divide cod into the 6 tortillas. Top with jalapeños and vegetable slaw. Serve with two slices of lime.
- • 3 lbs firm jalapeño peppers, sliced into ¹⁄8 to ¼ inch rounds and stems removed
- • 2 cups champagne vinegar
- • 6 cups cane sugar
- • ½ tsp turmeric
- • ½ tsp celery seed
- • 3 tsp granulated garlic
- • 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers into canning jars to within ¼ inch of the jar’s upper rim. Boil the syrup for 6 minutes.
- Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeño slices. Insert a chopstick to the jar bottom a few times to release air pockets. Fix on two-piece lids.
- Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2 inches. Bring the water to a quick boil, then set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints and 15 minutes for pints. When done, cool the jars for 24 hours.
- • 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- • 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- • 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- • ½ tsp cane sugar
- • ¼ shaved green cabbage
- • ¼ shaved red cabbage
- • ½ shaved red onion
- • 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- • ½ bulb shaved fennel
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 tsp sesame oil
- • 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- • salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.