- • 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- • ½ onion, finely chopped
- • 1 clove garlic, crushed
- • 1 cup (180g) quinoa
- • ¼ cup (20g) finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- • ¼ cup (60g) crème fraîche
- • sea salt and cracked black pepper
For Sage and Almond Brussels Sprouts
- • 60g unsalted butter
- • 500g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and leaves separated
- • ½ cup (80g) chopped almonds
- • 2 cups sage leaves
- • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- Place the stock in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Heat the oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until slightly toasted. Gradually add the warm stock to the pan, 1 cup (250ml) at a time, stirring occasionally for 10–15 minutes or until most of the stock is absorbed and the quinoa has softened. Add the parmesan and crème fraîche and stir to combine. Set aside and keep warm.
- To make the sage and almond Brussels sprouts, melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sprout leaves and cook, tossing, for 3 minutes. Add the almonds, sage and lemon rind and cook for a further 3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Divide the risotto between serving bowls and top with the sage and almond Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and extra parmesan to serve.
With stunning photographs of her dishes, Donna Hay has captured the eyes (and appetites!) of fans worldwide — including Hollywood star Cameron Diaz, who calls the Australian culinary star her "food inspiration." Donna’s latest tome, Life in Balance, inspires with recipes enriched by power proteins, good grains and seeds and nuts. It also/ includes useful glossary of ingredients, from flours to vinegars. – CHRIS DANIELS
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.