Take a lesson from health blogger Katie Wells and try protein- and nutrient-rich dishes from her latest tome The Wellness Mama Cookbook – like this meat loaf cupcake with a sweet potato frosting!
- • 6 medium sweet potatoes
- • 1 medium onion
- • 2 lb ground beef
- • 3 eggs
- • ¼ cup almond flour
- • 1 tsp dried basil
- • 1 tsp garlic powder
- • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- • sea salt
- • freshly ground black pepper
- • ¼ cup coconut oil or 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them in the oven to bake. Alternatively, you may peel, cube and boil them until soft.
- Finely dice the onion and place in a large bowl. Add the beef, eggs, flour, basil, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Mix by hand until well incorporated.
- Grease the cups of a muffin pan with the oil and divide the mixture among the cups. (You can also just press the mixture in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish). Place the muffin pan on the middle rack in the oven and put a baking sheet with a rim under it. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the meat is cooked through (add an extra 10 minutes for a 9 x 13-inch dish).
- If you baked the potatoes, slice and remove them from the skin. If you boiled them, remove from the water and strain. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and add the oil, salt and pepper to taste. Mash by hand or use an immersion blender until creamy and smooth.
- Remove the meat muffins from the oven when they are cooked through (there should not be any pink in the centre) and remove from their cups. Top each with a dollop of the mashed sweet potatoes.
Katie Wells, mother of six young children, compiles into book form what she has learned since creating her popular website Wellness Mama. The online resource -- where she curates healthy recipes, natural remedies and DIY beauty products -- has become a go-to for busy moms. And her tome The Wellness Mama Cookbook is an equally useful resource for those looking to put healthier, flavourful meals on the table. – CHRIS DANIELS
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.