Kiesza’s meteoric rise to stardom has been nothing short of spectacular.
One year ago, the Calgary-born singer was a virtual unknown. Now, the 25-year-old songstress has a platinum single, a Fendi campaign and a full-length album, Sound of a Woman, out this week.
After first blowing up the charts in Britain, Kiesza (pronounced “Ky-za”) shot to worldwide fame when her infectious electro-pop single, “Hideaway,” became the international song of the summer.
As her highly anticipated debut album hits stores on Oct. 21, Hello! sought to find out more about the homegrown talent.
...Scroll down to learn more about Kiesza!
1. Her real name is Kiesa Rae Ellestad. She is of mixed Norwegian and Scottish descent.
2. She competed in Miss Universe Canada in 2005.
3. The singer joined the Royal Canadian Navy at age 17 as a code-breaker.
4. She’s a classically trained ballerina and also has tap and modern-dance training.
5. Shot in Brooklyn, the "Hideaway" music video was directed by her brother, who was also in the Navy, and amazingly shot in one single take.
6. She told Rolling Stone that she struggled to shoot the video because she broke a rib right before filming and “couldn’t move for an entire month afterward.”
7. She attended the prestigious Berklee College of Music in Boston, where she met her "Hideaway" co-producer, Rami Samir Afuni.
8. When she was 18, she wrote her first song as a way to deal with her parents’ divorce.
9. She does her own hair. "I guess this is not one of the styles they teach hairdressers how to do in hair school,” she told the CBC.
10. She’s a Fendi spokesmodel and was recently named the face of the brand’s “Color Block” collection.