Ten facts about Queen Rania of Jordan on her 43rd birthday
31 AUGUST 2013
Queen Rania of Jordan
celebrates her 43rd birthday on August 31.
The wife of King Abdullah II
will be marking her birthday with her husband and children privately.
To honour Queen Rania's birthday, HELLO! Online
has compiled a list of ten facts about Jordan's elegant Queen.
1. Queen Rania is married to Jordan's King Abdullah II and the couple have four children together, Crown Prince Hussein, Princess Iman, Princess Salma and Prince Hashem.
Queen Rania is known for her impeccable style
CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR FULL GALLERY
2. The couple married in a lavish ceremony in 1993, just six months after they had "love at first sight" when they met at a dinner party. The bride dazzled in a gold-trimmed short-sleeved gown designed by Elie Saab. One of the bride's assistants later revealed the then 22-year-old's up do hair was so high that the bride had trouble getting into her car.
3. Rania admitted in an interview with American TV host Barbara Walters that she has grown comfortable in her role since marrying the King. "People are mesmerised by the Queen thing, but for me it is everyday life," she explained.
4. Alongside her royal duties, Queen Rania also finds the time to write children's books. Jordan's leading lady has released four books for children including The Sandwich Swap
, which became a New York Times
book list bestseller
Reading from her childrens' book The Sandwich Swap
5. The wife of King Abdullah II is an active user of Social Media and currently uses Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. She currently has more than 2.8million followers on her Twitter page, and one of her followers includes Prince Charles' Twitter page @ClarenceHouse.
6. As the Queen of Jordan and an advocate to women's rights, Rania was named as one of the most powerful women in the world by Forbes in 2009. "It's an honour and a privilege to have that chance to make a difference," she has said.
Queen Rania and King Abdullah II at Princess Victoria of Sweden's wedding
7. In 1995, Queen Rania founded the Jordan River Foundation to help improve the lives of women and children in Jordan. As founder, the Queen of Jordan meets children across the country. She recently joked that children are sometimes left disappointed when they meet her and discover that she is not wearing her crown.
8. As the wife of King Abdullah II, she and her husband travel the world representing Jordan. In May 2012, the couple visited England, where they attended the Lunch for Sovereign Monarchs at Windsor Castle, which was held by The Queen to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee
. King Abdullah and Queen Rania spent time talking to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
The Jordanian royals with Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex
9. As one of the most photographed women in the world, Queen Rania has been praised for her effortless style and has been named as one of People
's most beautiful women.
10. In her spare time, she loves to run and is a "seeker of good jogging tunes". She also enjoys spending time with her family and friends and can loves to bake a “mean chocolate chip cookie”.