Serves 6 to 8
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to season the ribs
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to season the ribs
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 12-oz bottle Heinz chili sauce
- 3 racks baby back ribs (about 6 lb total)
- In a heavy-bottomed 1½-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add all the remaining ingredients except the ribs and cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, until the flavours come together and the sauce has thickened to the desired consistency, about 30 minutes. The sauce may be used immediately or transferred to jars, cooled to room temperature, covered and refrigerated. The sauce will keep for up to 2 months.
- Cut each rack of ribs into 2 portions and season both sides of the ribs with salt and pepper. Brush the ribs liberally with some of the sauce and place them in a 6-quart slow cooker, shingled one on top of the other.
- Cook on high for 7 hours.
- Cut into individual ribs to serve, if desired, and pass additional sauce for dipping.
“I’m still trying to take the intimidation factor out of cooking,” Emeril Lagasse tells Hello! Canada. His latest cause: to showcase the versatility of kitchen tools. In his 18th cookbook, Emeril’s Cooking With Power, he shares 100-plus recipes for the slow cooker, multi cooker, pressure cooker and deep fryer that are easy and surprising. Don’t have one of these kitchen time savers? No worries – Emeril includes a handy buying guide. – Chris Daniels
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.