By Tim Mackiddie, Jackson-Triggs Estate Chef
This gourmet sweet treat is all the rage this summer. Mackiddie puts a twist on the sweet sammie with his Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich with Honey Ginger Cookies. riesling-gewurtztraminer offers a touch of sweetness and a dab of spiciness to complement the honey ginger flavours in this summertime favourite.
Wine Pairing: Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate Reserve Riesling-Gewurtztraminer 2012
- 1L good quality vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, ginger and baking soda
- In electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter, sugar and honey on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and in the egg. Beat for 1 minute then add in the flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined.
- Scoop roughly ¼ cup of the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Space them roughly 6cm apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes then allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To build the sandwiches scoop ½ cup of ice cream between the cooled cookies.