Created exclusively for Plan Canada in support of the Gifts of Hope quinoa project.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tbsp canola oil
- ½ tbsp of salt
- ¼ tea spoon of cumin seeds
- ¼ canola oil
- 1½ cups of chopped onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
- ¾ cups of thickly diced vegetables (whatever you have in the fridge, cauliflower, bell peppers, frozen peas, etc.)
Quinoa… Combine quinoa with chicken or vegetable broth, oil and salt in medium pot on high heat. When broth and quinoa reach a vigorous boil, turn it down and close the lid, let it simmer until the stock is completely dried off.
Masala… In a separate frying pan, heat oil on medium high for a minute. Add onions and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic and sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add ginger and jalapeno pepper, and then add vegetables to cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add quinoa to the masala and add cilantro and fold well. Serve as a great side dish or as a light dinner.
If reheating the next day, add some water to the pan and steam it on low heat
Photos ©: Neal Burstyn.