Courtesy of Metro
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 48 minutes
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) fine ground cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 mL) spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp. (2 ½ mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp. (½ mL) cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp. (½ mL) nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cloves
- ½ cup (125 mL) buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 mL) pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Place stick of butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet and melt in oven.
Remove pan and pour almost all the butter into medium heat-proof bowl leaving small amount to grease skillet.
Set melted butter aside to cool.
Swirl around remaining butter in pan to coat bottom and sides.
In a large bowl, whisk together the corrnmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
In the bowl with the melted butter, whisk in the buttermilk, maple syrup, puree and eggs.
Mix puree with cornmeal mixture and stir until combined.
Pour batter into greased skillet.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes and then cut and serve.