Courtesy of Metro
Prep time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I used ground.)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons meringue powder
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat the brown sugar and butter on medium. I don't have a stand mixer so my hand mixer did the trick. Beat in the molasses, egg and vanilla until completely combined. Gradually add the flour until just combined.
Divide dough into two balls and wrap each in plastic. Place in refrigerator for at least two hours. Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Roll out one ball at time on lightly floured parchment paper until 1/8 inch thick. Cut cookies. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and place back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Excess dough can be rerolled out two more times.
Bake one sheet at a time on center rack for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool on sheet for about 15 minutes and then move to a rack to continue cooling. Be gentle. The boys are fragile.