- •2 cups all-purpose flour
- •¼ cup granulated sugar
- •2 tsp baking powder
- •1 tsp baking soda
- •1 tsp salt
- •2 cups buttermilk
- •½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- •2 eggs
- •2 tsp vanilla
- •berries and maple syrup, optional
- Whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the buttermilk with the butter, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl. Scrape buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Whisk until the batter is just combined. It will be lumpy.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Spray with oil. Pour 1/3 cup batter into pan. If the pan is big enough, add more 1/3 cup portions of batter. Cook until bubbles form on top of each pancake and the edges begin to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Using a wide spatula, flip and continue cooking until the bottoms of pancakes are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Don’t press or they will become tough. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with berries of your choice and maple syrup.
Get the kids to help out by having them pour the batter into the pan.
But only once so they stay nice and fluffy.
All out of buttermilk?
Don’t worry. As a substitute, mix 2 tbsp lemon juice in 2 cups milk and let stand for 10 minutes.