- ¼ cup butter
- 3 leeks, white parts only, sliced
- 4 parsnips or turnips, peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 large yellow potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 Gala apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup 10% cream
- 1 parsnip or small turnip, peeled and thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsnips and cook 5 more minutes. Add broth, water, potatoes, apples, parsley and thyme. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Toss parsnip ribbons with oil. Arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. (If using turnip, add 2 to 4 more minutes.)
- Purée soup in batches in a blender. Return soup to pot. Stir in cream. Season with pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsnip chips.
There are 35 harvest recipes, including one for a gorgeous, casual Thanksgiving spread, in the October issue of Chatelaine. Our sister magazine stands behind each one with its Triple Tested Guarantee.
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!