- 1½ cups hot water, divided
- 2 14-g pkgs dried chanterelle mushrooms
- 1/3 cup plain instant mashed-potato flakes
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 600 g total)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tsp finely chopped sage
- Pour ¾ cup hot water over the mushrooms in a medium bowl. Stir occasionally until ready to use. Stir remaining ¾ cup hot water with instant potatoes in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Prick unpeeled sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place on a plate. Microwave on high until tender, turning halfway through, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand until they are cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh into a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée until completely smooth.
- Measure out 1 cup sweet potato purée and stir into bowl with mashed potatoes. (Refrigerate any remaining purée for another use.) Stir in yolks, ginger and salt. Stir in flour, ½ cup at a time, until dough is combined but sticky. Scrape half the dough into a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Boil a large pot of water. Cut 1 inch from the tip of a plastic bag. Gently squeeze bag to pipe dough directly into the boiling water, at the edge of the pot. Use a paring knife to cut off 1-inch pieces of dough. Do not crowd the pot. Cook gnudi in 3 to 4 batches. Scoop out gnudi when they float to the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Keep on a plate. Cook all the dough.
- Melt butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium. Add mushrooms and any remaining liquid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid evaporates and butter turns foamy, about 6 minutes. Add cooked gnudi and sage. Cook gently until warmed through, about 1 minute.
here are 35 harvest recipes, including one for a gorgeous, casual Thanksgiving spread, in the October issue of Chatelaine. Our sister magazine stands behind each one with its Triple Tested Guarantee.
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!