- 1½ cups hot water, divided
- 2 14-g pkgs dried chanterelle mushrooms
- 1/3 cup plain instant mashed-potato flakes
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 600 g total)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tsp finely chopped sage
- Pour ¾ cup hot water over the mushrooms in a medium bowl. Stir occasionally until ready to use. Stir remaining ¾ cup hot water with instant potatoes in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Prick unpeeled sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place on a plate. Microwave on high until tender, turning halfway through, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand until they are cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh into a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée until completely smooth.
- Measure out 1 cup sweet potato purée and stir into bowl with mashed potatoes. (Refrigerate any remaining purée for another use.) Stir in yolks, ginger and salt. Stir in flour, ½ cup at a time, until dough is combined but sticky. Scrape half the dough into a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Boil a large pot of water. Cut 1 inch from the tip of a plastic bag. Gently squeeze bag to pipe dough directly into the boiling water, at the edge of the pot. Use a paring knife to cut off 1-inch pieces of dough. Do not crowd the pot. Cook gnudi in 3 to 4 batches. Scoop out gnudi when they float to the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Keep on a plate. Cook all the dough.
- Melt butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium. Add mushrooms and any remaining liquid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid evaporates and butter turns foamy, about 6 minutes. Add cooked gnudi and sage. Cook gently until warmed through, about 1 minute.
here are 35 harvest recipes, including one for a gorgeous, casual Thanksgiving spread, in the October issue of Chatelaine. Our sister magazine stands behind each one with its Triple Tested Guarantee.
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.