- • ¼ cup granulated sugar
- • 8 g quick-rise yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
- • ½ cup warm milk
- • 1/8 cup warm water
- • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- • 2 eggs, at room temperature, divided
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 2 tsp water
- • 32 chocolate mini-egg candies
- Combine 1 cup flour with sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Beat in warm milk, 1/3 cup warm water, butter, 1 egg and salt until combined. Beat in remaining 2 cups flour on medium until dough is smooth and pulls cleanly away from bottom and sides of bowl, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with a damp kitchen towel. Let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Turn dough out onto a very lightly floured surface. Divide into 6 equal portions. Keep under damp towel. Working with 1 piece at a time, divide into 3 smaller equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-in.-long rope. Braid dough ropes, then pinch rope ends flat so you can tuck them securely under each end of braided loaf. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer to prepared sheet. Cover loosely with damp kitchen towel and let rest for 1 more hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Whisk remaining egg with 2 tsp water in a small bowl. Brush over tops of loaves.
- Bake in centre of oven until deep golden, 20 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately tuck candies into braids. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
The April issue of Chatelaine also includes a perfect raspberry and streusel coffee cake. Since each recipe is triple tested, you can be sure they’ll work for you every time.
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.