- • 8 g active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
- • 1/3 cup warm water (120° F to 130° F)
- • ½ cup warm milk (120° F to 130° F)
- • ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- • 2 egg yolks
- • 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- • ¼ cup granulated sugar
- • 1 tsp salt
- • ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- • ½ cup brown sugar
- • 1 tbsp cinnamon
- • 1 egg
- • 1 tbsp water
- • 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Combine yeast with warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Let stand until frothy, 10 minutes. Beat in warm milk, ¼ cup melted butter and yolks until combined. Add flour, sugar and salt. Beat on medium until dough pulls cleanly away from bottom and sides of bowl, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with a damp kitchen towel. Let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Stir ½ cup butter with brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water in a small bowl until combined.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 22 × 12-in. rectangle, trimming edges if necessary. Spread butter mixture evenly over dough to the edges. With a long edge facing you, tightly roll up dough in jelly roll fashion. Place roll seamside up. Use a sharp knife to cut the log lengthwise in half along the seam. Tightly weave the 2 pieces together, leaving the cut sides exposed. Gently transfer to prepared sheet. Brush a 2-in. portion of 1 woven end with egg wash. Form into a wreath, firmly pinching the eggwashed end underneath the other to seal. Cover with same damp kitchen towel and let rise until doubled, 1 more hour.
- Bake in centre of oven until bread is deep golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool slightly. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Two more ways to use your cinnamon dough
Divide prepared dough into 2 portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll on a lightly floured surface into a 9 × 14-in. rectangle. Spread half of butter mixture evenly over dough to the edges. With a short edge facing you, tightly roll up dough in jelly roll fashion. Place, seam-side down, on 1 side of a lightly oiled 9 × 5-in. loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough and butter mixture, so rolls are side by side in pan. Cover with damp towel and let rise until doubled, 1 hour. Brush with egg wash. Place loaf pan on baking sheet line with parchment. Bake at 325° F until golden, 50 to 55 minutes. Let stand for 10 min. Transfer loaf onto a rack to cool.
Omit egg wash. Roll prepared dough on a lightly floured surface into an 18 × 12-in. rectangle. Spread butter mixture evenly over dough to the edges. With a long edge facing you, tightly roll up dough in jelly roll fashion. Cut crosswise into 12 portions. Arrange each roll, cut-side down, in a lightly greased 9 × 13-in. baking dish. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, 1 hour. Bake at 325° F until golden, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk 1 cup icing sugar with 4 tsp milk in a small bowl. Drizzle over warm buns.