Makes two 9-inch cakes
- • 6½ cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- • 2 cups sugar
- • 1½ cups cocoa powder, divided
- • 2 tsp baking powder
- • 2 cups margarine or butter
- • 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the eggs, chickpeas, sugar, ½ cup of the cocoa powder and the baking powder in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly into two 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 60 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, blend the margarine or butter, icing sugar and the remaining 1 cup of cocoa powder in the food processor until smooth.
- Allow the cakes to cool, then top one with icing. Stack them and continue to ice the cakes.
Mary Jo Eustace, 53, titled her new cookbook Scared Wheatless because she didn’t adopt gluten-free cooking until she was diagnosed with cellulitis and her daughter, Lola, 10, with an autoimmune disorder. The health scare was a wake-up call for the former TV host, who also has a son, Jack, 17, with ex-husband Dean McDermott. Mary Jo is thrilled to report they’re now both doing well – and loving the dishes, too! – Chris Daniels
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!