- • 1 ½ cups (390g) mashed banana (about 4 bananas)
- • ⅓ cup (40g) oat bran
- • ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- • ½ cup (125ml) maple syrup, plus extra for brushing
- • 1 cup (250ml) vegetable or coconut oil
- • 2 eggs
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1 cup (160g) buckwheat flour
- • 1 cup (130g) white spelt flour
- • 3 teaspoons baking powder
- • 1 cup (150g) blueberries, raspberries or blackberries
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Lightly grease a 20cm x 30cm slice tin, line with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the banana, oat bran, milk, maple syrup, oil, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl, mix to combine and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Sift in both the flours and the baking powder and mix to combine. Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the blueberries. Bake for 45 minutes or until just cooked when tested with a skewer. Turn out onto a serving plate and, while the cake is still hot, brush with extra maple syrup. Slice and serve warm.
With stunning photographs of her dishes, Donna Hay has captured the eyes (and appetites!) of fans worldwide — including Hollywood star Cameron Diaz, who calls the Australian culinary star her "food inspiration." Donna’s latest tome, Life in Balance, inspires with recipes enriched by power proteins, good grains and seeds and nuts. It also/ includes useful glossary of ingredients, from flours to vinegars. – CHRIS DANIELS
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!