- • 2 tsp canola oil
- • 1 cup diced pancetta
- • 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- • 5 whole cloves
- • 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- • ½ tsp salt
- • ½ tsp pepper
- • ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- • ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- • 2 pears, sliced into wedges
- • 2 tbsp butter
- • ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add pancetta and cook, stirring until crisp, about 5 min. Add onions and cook, stirring until browned and softened, about 8 min. Stir in garlic, cloves and cinnamon and cook for 1 min.
- Add cabbage, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until slightly wilted, 5 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring until softened, 10 min. Add pears and ⅓ cup water and cook, stirring, until pears are cooked and cabbage is tender, 10 to 15 min. Discard cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Stir in butter and parsley.
Chatelaine spreads festive cheer with this flavourful feast. Also in the December issue: show-stopping cookies and treats, all with the triple-tested seal.
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!