- • 2 tsp canola oil
- • 1 cup diced pancetta
- • 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- • 5 whole cloves
- • 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- • ½ tsp salt
- • ½ tsp pepper
- • ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- • ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- • 2 pears, sliced into wedges
- • 2 tbsp butter
- • ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add pancetta and cook, stirring until crisp, about 5 min. Add onions and cook, stirring until browned and softened, about 8 min. Stir in garlic, cloves and cinnamon and cook for 1 min.
- Add cabbage, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until slightly wilted, 5 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring until softened, 10 min. Add pears and ⅓ cup water and cook, stirring, until pears are cooked and cabbage is tender, 10 to 15 min. Discard cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Stir in butter and parsley.
Chatelaine spreads festive cheer with this flavourful feast. Also in the December issue: show-stopping cookies and treats, all with the triple-tested seal.
HELLO! Canada magazine is available for your tablet and smartphone. Get HELLO! Canada, PEOPLE, Vanity Fair and over 100 more of the world’s best magazines for one low monthly price at Texture by Next Issue. CLICK HERE to sign up for a free trial.