- • 3 cups milk
- • 1 cup 35% cream
- • ½ cup butter, divided
- • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- • 3 thyme sprigs
- • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- • 1 ½ tsp salt
- • ½ tsp pepper
- • 2 kg Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into scant ¼-in.-thick slices (12 cups)
- • 1 cup finely grated parmesan, divided
- • 1 cup grated gruyère
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Heat milk and cream in a pot over medium-low.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring until softened, 5 min. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Slowly add milk mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring until slightly thickened before adding more liquid.
- Stir in salt and pepper and cook, stirring until thickened. Add potatoes and cook over medium, stirring bottom of pot to prevent browning, until slightly tender, 8 to 10 min.
- Spread half of the potato mixture in a 3-L oven-safe dish. Place dish on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the parmesan and top with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and gruyère. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and continue baking until top is golden and potatoes are tender, 20 min. Let stand for 15 min before serving.
Chatelaine spreads festive cheer with this flavourful feast. Also in the December issue: show-stopping cookies and treats, all with the triple-tested seal.
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!