Take a lesson from health blogger Katie Wells and try protein- and nutrient-rich dishes from her latest tome The Wellness Mama Cookbook.
Makes one 9-inch pie
- • ¼ cup almond flour
- • ¼ cup coconut flour
- • ¼ cup coconut sugar
- • 1 egg
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- • 2 cups sweetened condensed milk (see note following the recipe)
- • zest and juice of 8 organic limes
- • 4 egg yolks
- • 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the almond and coconut flours, sugar, egg, vanilla and butter in a food processor and pulse until mixed. If needed, add a little bit of water to make it moist enough to form a ball of dough. Press the dough into a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, lime zest and juice, egg yolks and matcha powder and pour into the prepared crust.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until starting to set but not solid. Remove and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Note: To make enough homemade sweetened condensed milk for this recipe, simmer 3 cups whole milk in a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup unrefined sugar and simmer on a very low heat for 3 hours, until reduced by half. Let cool and use.