Planning a Father’s Day menu? Try these mouth-watering comfort-food recipes from Eat Delicious author Dennis ‘The’ Prescott
Serves 10 to 12
- • 1 tbsp chili powder
- • 2 tbsp brown sugar
- • 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- • 1½ tsp garlic powder
- • 1½ tsp onion powder
- • 1 tbsp kosher salt
- • 1½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- • 1 (5-lb) bone-in pork shoulder
- • 3 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 cup cola
- • spicy-and-sweet BBQ sauce (Eat Delicious includes a great homemade recipe)
- • 1 cup prepared mayo
- • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- • 1 tsp sugar
- • ½ tsp celery seed
- • ½ tsp sea salt
- • ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- • 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- • 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- • 2 carrots, grated on a box grater
- • 10 to 12 burger buns
- • 2 cups of your favourite sliced pickles
- • your favourite hot sauce
- Make the pulled pork: In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Massage the pork shoulder with half of the olive oil, then coat it all over with the spice rub. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Let the pork come to room temperature for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the remaining olive oil. Sear the pork on all sides until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Pour in the cola and transfer the pork to the oven. Immediately decrease the oven temperature to 325° F and cook for 6 ½ to 7 ½ hours, or until the pork is basically falling apart and easily shreddable.
- Rest the cooked pork on a board for 10 minutes.
- While the pork is resting, make the coleslaw: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the cabbages and carrots and mix until smooth. Add the cabbages and carrots and mix until the vegetables are coated and the coleslaw is creamy and delicious. Set aside.
- Shred the pork with two forks, discarding any bones or excess fat. Toss the pulled pork in the pan juices, then pour over as much BBQ sauce as your heart desires and toss.
- Serve on a bun with the coleslaw, the pickles, and the hot sauce. Delicious!
Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!