Director Ivan Reitman's Toronto restaurant, Montecito, dishes up home-friendly versions of sure-to-be celebrity favourites.
• 6 6-oz portions of beef bavette (skirt steak), sliced
• 6 slices of sourdough, grilled
• 500 ml Romesco sauce (recipe follows)
• marinated tomatoes (recipe follows)
1. Bring the Romesco and tomatoes to room temperature.
2. Season the steaks and grill. While the steaks are resting, grill the sourdough.
3. Put out 6 plates with a slice of sourdough. Spread Romesco and steak on each. Top with tomatoes.
• 3 red bell peppers, whole
• 1 Anaheim chili, whole
• 1 onion, halved
• 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
• ¼ cup hazelnuts
• ¼ cup pine nuts
• 3 tsp cold-pressed canola oil or olive oil
• 3 tsp red wine vinegar
Roast the peppers, chili, onion, garlic and nuts in a 450° F oven until blackened. Peel the outside of the peppers, chilies, onion and garlic. Transfer to a blender with the nuts, and blend as you stream in the oil through the top and the sauce becomes smooth. Season with salt and vinegar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
• 80 g shallots, small dice
• 10 g sugar
• 25 ml sherry vinegar
• 25 g capers, chopped
• 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
• 20 g parsley, chopped
• 15 g tarragon, chopped
• 100 ml cold-pressed canola oil or olive oil
• 50 ml lemon juice
Mix the shallots in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and the sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and let sit for 5 more minutes. Mix in the capers, tomatoes, parsley and tarragon. Add in the oil and season with lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.