Nicolette Mason is many things: devoted dog lover (we're obsessed with her pet pug Frankie!), peppy lifestyle blogger, forward-thinking fashion designer – and determined to revolutionize the world of plus-sized style.
She already has numerous collaborations to her name, having worked with brands like ModCloth and Target to bring colour, class and a unique flair to the designs they offer to curvier women. Now she's at it again, bringing her brilliance across the border in a new collection with the Great White North's very own Addition ELLE.
Here, the Los Angeles native spills her best secrets to looking and feeling great – in living colour!
Looking Good: 6 tips for always looking picture-perfect
1. "I love the colours. Pink is definitely my signature colour [even though] I wear a lot of black."
2. "I think my favourite thing is versatility. [In my collection] the shirt dress, the Danielle, is the perfect work-to-weekend. You can wear it to the boardroom, but then you can wear it out on a date as well. Versatility is very important to me. It’s how the modern woman shops."
3. "My whole approach to flattering is to wear the things that make you really happy and that bring joy to your life. It’s less about flattering your shape and more flattering your personality."
4. "I want to wear clothes that are comfortable, that make me feel good about myself and that make me happy. It makes every outfit look good, if you feel good and have a sense of self in what you’re wearing."
5. "It’s a really exciting time [for brides] because you can play with the non-traditional. I chose not to wear a white gown [and] I’m very happy [about] that because that wouldn’t have been me."
6. "[Wedding guests should] pay attention to the dress code. Dress appropriately for the occasion. If it’s a destination wedding you want to have something a little more flowy. Colour is great, don’t wear white."
Feeling good: 4 great ways to always feel your best
1."My editor at Marie Claire, Lea Goldman, told me very, very early that my integrity was the most important thing. It’s just so valuable to be you and not to compromise on that."
2. "Trends have become really season-less so it’s great that we’re kind of in this time of personal style where it’s less driven by runway trends and more driven by individuals. You can be in New York or L.A. or Toronto or London and not have to change your style to fit in. You’re celebrated as you are and that’s amazing."
3. "Style has always been an important part of my self-expression, especially growing up trying to figure out my identity. I think that fashion can be a really empowering tool. It allows you to create, cultivate and communicate who you are through this very visible and textural medium."
4. Keep your friends close: "My immediate circle of friends have been a great source of inspiration to me. All of the dresses [in this collection] are named after my closest girlfriends."