She’s earned accolades for playing multiple clones on Orphan Black, but there’s more to Tatiana Maslany than her ability to embody eight vastly different characters on the popular sci-fi series.
From her humble Saskatchewan roots to her celebrity fan base, we’ve rounded up 10 fun facts about the homegrown star and Hello! Most Beautiful listee as she celebrates her 29th birthday on Sept. 22.
Scroll down for 10 facts about Tatiana...
1. "Tat" was born in Regina, Saskatchewan. She moved to Toronto at age 20 to pursue her acting career.
2. She plays an incredible eight characters on Orphan Black (with several different accents), for which she took home a 2014 Canadian Screen Award. In 2013, she won the Critics’ Choice Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series, beating out Claire Danes, Vera Farmiga, and Elisabeth Moss!
3. She’s been dating Welsh actor Tom Cullen (who plays Lord Anthony Gillingham on Downton Abbey) since 2011.
4. Tatiana has Ukrainian, Polish, German, Austrian, and Romanian ancestry.
5. Her father is a woodworker and her mother is a French/English translator. She credits her mom, who taught her German, as well as her French immersion schooling for helping her master many accents. “I think because I learned it at a young age, your brain understands how languages are structured,” she said.
6. She has two younger brothers named Daniel and Michael.
7. She says she was pleasantly surprised by Orphan Black’s international success. “It’s very surreal. We literally didn’t think anyone was going to watch it!,” she told Hello! Canada's Editor-In-Chief, Alison Eastwood, at the Canadian Screen Awards.
8. Patton Oswalt has called her “the best actress alive, telling Buzzfeed last year: “She absolutely deserves an Emmy. There’s just no argument to it. Not a nomination. AN EMMY. An. EMMY.” Other famous fans include comedian Sarah Silverman and producer Damon Lindelof.
9. In her off time, she enjoys taking dance classes and travelling.
10. She was named one of Hello! Canada’s 50 Most Beautiful Canadians this year.