Until this week, Benedict, 38, hadn’t even confirmed that he was dating the stunning actress and director, whom he's known since 2009.
So who is Sophie Hunter? Find out more with these 8 facts!
Sophie Hunter is a talented director and actress
- Sophie is 36, was born on 16 March, 1978.
- Her friendship with Benedict dates back to 2009 when they starred in the fairytale thriller Burlesque Fairytales.
- Like her fiancé, who is the great-grandson of Queen Victoria’s consul general in Turkey, she comes from an illustrious family. Her maternal grandfather was General Sir James Michael Gow, who was a royal equerry.
- The actress/director appreciates old fashioned romantic gestures. Benedict flew to Edinburgh to ask the permission of her mother Katharine. Their engagement was announced in The Times.
- She studied French and Italian at Oxford University, followed by a stint at the prestigious Jacques Lecoq theatre school in Paris and Saratoga International Theatre Institute in New York.
- Her skills include puppetry. The cerebral beauty directed 69° South, an experimental play about the fateful voyage of Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton by having performers on stilts manipulate marionettes.
- Sophie’s also a songbird, once recording French-language music album The Isis Project in collaboration with Guy Chambers, who is Robbie Williams’ songwriting partner.
- Travel is a passion of hers: she’s directed work in Palestine, Italy and Africa.
Sophie Hunter and a friend at a Weinstein Company do in New York