Celebrities like Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, Shaquille O’Neal and even Martha Stewart poked merciless fun at Justin Bieber during his highly anticipated Comedy Central roast that aired Monday, March 30. Host Kevin Hart played ringleader to the festivities, which saw comedians, sports stars and other personalities take to the stage to insult the 21-year-old Canadian singer – and each other – for the one-hour special.
No topic was off-limits during the infamously raucous roast, including ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez, the pop star's legal troubles, his brand of music and his young fan base.
Justin took the insults in stride. Photo © Getty
Meanwhile, Justin’s fans, who call themselves “Beliebers,” stood by their idol during the event, showing their support and wishing him well via Twitter.
Following a year of controversy and legal battles, the singer from Statford, Ont. finally seems to be on the mend. Not only has Justin repeatedly apologized to fans for his “arrogant ” and “conceited” behaviour, but he seems to have done some serious soul-searching ahead of his birthday, which he officially celebrated ahed of the show's taping on March 1.
Watch: Justin celebrates his 21st birthday in Vegas
"Damn, you guys were brutal," Justin laughed at the end of the roast. "This was supposed to be my birthday present!"
After cracking a few jokes of his own, the singer, who looked dapper in a crisp purple suit, turned to the camera to issue a straightforward apology.
"I lost some of my best qualities," he said earnestly. "I'm looking forward to being someone to be proud of. Someone close to me once said how you rise from a fall is how you are truly defined as a man."
Overall, the Comedy Central roast boded well for the pop star’s new persona, in which he takes himself less seriously and doesn’t sweat the small stuff.
Here, we’ve rounded up 10 of the best jokes from the Roast of Justin Bieber.
Rapper Snoop Dogg was one of many stars on the dais. Photo © Getty
1. "I'm proud of you. You have it all. You literally are a guy who has it all — except for respect, love, friends, good parents, and a Grammy." (Chris D’Elia)
2. "Last year you were ranked the fifth most hated person of all time. Kim Jong-un didn't even score that low, and he uses your music to torture people." (Shaquille O’Neal)
3. "You are the King Joffrey of pop.” (Jeff Ross)
4. "All these rappers on stage and Martha Stewart has done the most jail time" (Natasha Leggero)
5. "They say that you roast the ones you love, but I don’t like you at all, man. I’m just here because it’s a real good opportunity for me." (Hannibal Buress)
6. "This kid has spunk, moxie, and a few other STDs." (Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy)
7. “Unfortunately Selena Gomez couldn’t be here tonight. Just because she didn’t want to be here. I wish I had something better to tell you, but I don’t.” (Kevin Hart)
8. "Those Calvin Klein billboards you made are terrible. And I was in Whitney." (Chris D'Elia)
9. "Kevin, you are everywhere. He is going to be on the next season of Game of Thrones. He's going to play Peter Dinklage's shadow." (Natasha Legerro)
10. "What do you get when you give a teenager $200 million? A bunch of has-beens calling you a lesbian for two hours." (Justin Bieber)