Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen first delighted viewers as Michelle Tanner in the ’80s and ’90s on Full House, but their legions of fans will be disappointed to learn that they won’t be joining the sitcom’s Netflix reprisal, Fuller House. According to a statement published by Us Weekly – and in contrast to recent reports stating the opposite – the Olsen twins won’t be part of the cast.
“Although Ashley and Mary-Kate will not be a part of Fuller House, I know how much Full House has meant to them and they are still very much considered family,” executive producer Robert L. Boyett said on Friday 22 May. “It has been exciting to see how they have built their professional careers, and I support their choice to focus on their fashion brands and various business endeavours.
“I appreciate their support and good wishes towards Fuller House,” he added.
Last month there was a media frenzy when rumours began to circulate that Mary-Kate and Ashley, 28, would once again hit the small screen.
Mary-Kate hinted that she and her sister were keen on joining many of their former co-stars, telling WWD: “We just found out about it [Fuller House] today. I guess we’re going to talk to the creators and see what’s happening.”
However, it emerged that news of the sequel had actually come as a surprise to the California-born twins.
“I ran into Bob [Saget, who played Mary-Kate and Ashley’s on-screen dad] the other day and we didn’t even talk about it,” Ashley said, while Mary-Kate added: “I’m shocked I haven’t heard from John [Stamos].”
Netflix confirmed on 20 April that it is reviving the sitcom with a 13-episode pick-up that will air in 2016.
The show will star original castmembers Candace Cameron-Bure (D.J.), her onscreen younger sister Jodie Sweetin (Stephanie) and Andrea Barbrer, who played her best friend Kimmy Gibbler.
John Stamos will reprise his role as Uncle Jesse in a guest role.