Five weeks after his untimely death on Apr. 21, new information has been released surrounding the death of music legend Prince. A law enforcement official told the Associated Press that medical tests determined that the 57-year-old died as a result of an accidental fentanyl overdose.
The report also revealed that Prince weighed just 112 lbs at the time of his death, and said that there were no other "significant conditions" that contributed to his sudden passing.
Fentanyl is an opiate that can be 30 to 50 times more powerful than heroin. It is often administered after surgery and can be taken via a patch or injection.
Officials had previously confirmed that prescription drugs had been found in Prince's possession following his death, with a police warrant revealing that he had been prescribed medication on April 20 – the day before he was discovered in the elevator at his home.
While the late singer's representatives have yet to comment on the report, speculation that the musician had been battling substance abuse issues surfaced shortly after he was found unresponsive inside his Minnesota home. California doctor Dr. Howard Kornfeld was reportedly scheduled to meet with Prince on Apr. 22 to assist with a "grave medical emergency." Being that Dr. Kornfeld specializes in opioid addiction treatment, it is probable that he was called in to help the artist deal with a dependency on the drug.
After word of his death spread on social media, the singer's publicist released the following statement confirming the tragic news. "It is with profound sadness that I am confirming that the legendary, iconic performer, Prince Rogers Nelson, has died at his Paisley Park residence this morning at the age of 57. There are no further details as to the cause of death at this time."