Six days before Prince passed away from an accidental opioid overdose on Apr. 21, the singer's health made headlines after his private plane was forced to make an emergency landing after he lost consciousness en route to his home in Minnesota. Judith Hill, one of the music legend's protégées, was on board that flight and has opened up about the scary experience to the New York Times.
The 32-year-old says that she was having dinner with the singer when "his eyes fixed" before he nodded off. Sensing something was seriously wrong, Judith alerted the only other passenger onboard, Prince's longtime friend Kirk Johnson, who quickly informed the pilots of the situation. "We knew it was only a matter of time; we had to get down. We didn’t have anything on the plane to help him” recalls Judith.
After landing in Chicago, paramedics rushed to revive the singer by giving him a shot of Narcan, a drug typically used to treat opioid overdoses. He was taken to a local hospital where Judith was overjoyed to find him awake and alert. "It was such a relief to me. I thought he was gone,” she admits.
Judith notes that she wasn't aware of the severity of Prince's health issues and his alleged dependancy on fentanyl. "I only know what everyone knows about his pain — I read about it. He was quick on his feet. Never said anything, that this is hurting, never a sign of struggle. That’s why it’s all very shocking.”