Prince Philip was involved in a car accident near the Royal Family's Sandringham Estate on Thursday (Jan. 17). The 97-year-old, who still drives both cars and carriages, one of his longtime passions, emerged unharmed from the incident with another vehicle, according to a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace.
The statement said: "The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in a road traffic accident with another vehicle this afternoon. The Duke was not injured. The accident took place close to the Sandringham Estate. Local police attended the scene."
According to the BBC, the Queen's husband had been backing his Range Rover out of a driveway. Witnesses told the publication that the Duke of Edinburgh's car overturned and onlookers helped to get him out of the car before he was seen by a doctor. The people in the other car were treated for minor injuries.
The monarch and her longtime love have been at Sandringham since starting their annual holiday in December. The couple had a fun-filled Christmas as they hosted family members like the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Cambridge family for traditional events like movie night, Christmas Day church services and a black-tie dinner on Christmas eve.
Prince Philip skipped out on church services, during which a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace assured worried fans that he is in good health and was spending the day relaxing with family. The duke has been seen in public less frequently since retiring from royal duties in the summer of 2017, and underwent hip surgery last year. His recovery was successful and he's since been spotted back on his carriages.
The Queen and the duke will return from their country home at the beginning of February, as she traditionally marks the anniversary of her father's death privately on the estate.