Weeks after Prince Philip was involved in a car accident near Sandringham, it’s been revealed that the duke won’t face charges. Authorities in Britain have announced it would “not be in the public interest to prosecute,” especially after the 97-year-old agreed to surrender his license. The accident happened when his Land Rover collided with a Kia driven by a 28-year-old woman, with a nine-month-old in her backseat.
Chris Long, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS East of England, revealed Thursday (Feb. 14), “The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 on 17 January this year.”
“We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving license. We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute.” Long continued, “All those involved in the collision have been informed and provided with a full explanation in writing.”
After the crash, which left the 28-year-old woman with scrapes to her knees, the Duke of Edinburgh offered his apologies to those involved, and said he was deeply sorry for any pain he caused.
According to the Sunday Mirror, the letter he sent the young woman involved, said: "I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads... The sun was shining low over the main road. In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences. I was somewhat shaken after the accident, but I was greatly relieved that none of you were seriously injured."
He continued: "As a crowd was beginning to gather, I was advised to return to Sandringham House by a local police officer. I have since learned that you suffered a broken arm. I am deeply sorry about this injury. I wish you a speedy recovery from a very distressing experience," before signing the letter as 'Philip'.
Speaking about her reaction to the letter, Emma said: "I thought it was really nice that he signed off as 'Philip' and not the formal title. I was pleasantly surprised because of the personalised nature." Emma had already received a voicemail from one of the Queen's lady-in-waitings, who wished her a speedy recovery on behalf of the royal, saying: "Her Majesty is very eager to know how you are and hope that everything is going as well as can be expected."