When Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan said they were keeping the details around the royal baby’s birth plan private, they really meant it! On Monday (May 6), when Buckingham Palace officially announced the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s 7 pound, 3 ounce baby boy, there was a big difference compared to how such news has been shared in the past!
As is tradition, the royal easel with the announcement was carried into Buckingham Palace’s courtyard and placed there just after the little boy’s birth. “The Queen and the Royal Family are delighted at the news that Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex was safely delivered of a son at 0526am today,” the message read. “Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.”
Do you spot the difference? When Duchess Kate and Prince William announced the births of Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, the notices also included the names of the physicians who attended the three children’s births. Dr. Guy Thorpe-Beeston was present at all three births, and Dr. Alan Farthing attended when both Charlotte and Louis came into the world.
But the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have left the attending physicians’ names off their birth announcement. This also ensures any detail of where the little boy was delivered is not released. Last month, Harry and Meghan said they were keeping the details of their birth plan private, and would announce more information when they had had the chance to celebrate as a family.
Harry stepped outside Windsor Castle to hold an impromptu press conference after Baby Sussex’s birth. The new dad beamed with joy at the arrival of his son, and also praised Meghan. “I’m so incredibly proud of my wife and as every father and parent would ever say, ‘your baby is absolutely amazing,’ but this little thing is absolutely to die for so I’m just over the moon,” he said.
The prince also told the press he would see them in “two days’ time” when he and Meghan make another announcement “so everyone can see the baby.”