Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s fall African tour confirmed

By Zach Harper

After the British High Commissioner for South Africa confirmed on Wednesday (June 26) that Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan would visit the country in October, it was only a matter of time before Buckingham Palace announced the official details of the trip – and now it has!

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit South Africa in October, the Palace said on Thursday (June 27). Harry will also travel to Malawi and Angola and will also make a working stop in Botswana “on route to the other countries,” according to a post on the couple’s Instagram.

It also looks like they’ll be bringing Archie Harrison along!

“This will be their first official tour as a family!” the post reads. “The Duke and Duchess are really looking forward to meeting so many of you on the ground and continuing to raise awareness of the high impact work local communities are doing across the commonwealth and beyond.”

While the official itinerary has not been announced yet, it looks like the jaunt will happen in October, and more details will be revealed soon.

On Wednesday, British High Commissioner to South Africa Nigel Casey confirmed the couple would visit the country.

“That’s great news for us. I predict it’s also great news for the South African economy,” he said, before joking, “I predict a hat and frock buying frenzy that could well boost the economy all on its own. We’re hugely looking forward to that.”

It’s not known what Harry and Meghan will be doing while in South Africa, Harry will likely work to expand his Sentebale charity in Malawi, and will learn more about Angola’s work clearing landmines.

Harry made a passionate speech last week calling for countries to remove landmines. Photo: © Getty Images

This won’t be Harry’s first time visiting Angola – Harry travelled to the southeast African country in 2013. He followed in his mother’s footsteps while doing so, since Princess Diana made a famous visit to an Angolan minefield in 1997. The cause is important to Harry, who called for the removal of landmines around the world at an event at UK thinktank Chatham House last week. He praised Angola’s progress with mine removal, and said there’s still more to be done.

Duchess Kate and Prince William will also head abroad on a tour of Asia that’s expected to take place this fall as well. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are said to be visiting countries that “might include Bangladesh, India, Malaysia and Singapore,” and could also include Sri Lanka, according to the Daily Mail. Brunei and China are not said to be on the itinerary, which has yet to be announced by Kensington Palace. It is not known whether Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis will travel with their parents.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!