Prince Harry makes emotional return to site of Angolan minefield Princess Diana walked in 1997

By Sarah Walker

On day five of the Duke of Sussex’s tour of Africa, Prince Harry made an emotional and poignant visit to Angola and retraced the footsteps of his late mother, Princess Diana.

In 1997, the Princess of Wales was photographed walking down a tree-lined roadway that was previously a minefield in the town of Huambo.

Today, the roadway is called Princess Diana Street in honour of her memory and legacy, and has become the heart of the city. It’s lined with schools, shops and houses.

The 35-year-old rightly became emotional when he spoke to a crowd in front of a large, arched tree also named after his mom.

Harry took some time to collect his thoughts under a tree named after his mother in Huambo on Sept. 27. Photo: © Dominic Lipinski - Pool/Getty Images

“It has been quite emotional retracing my mother’s steps 22 years on and to see the transformation that has taken place from an unsafe and desolate area into a vibrant community with local businesses and colleges,” he said before adding he believed she would still be fighting for an end to landmines had she not been in the 1997 car crash that claimed her life.

“I wonder if she were still alive today if that would be the case. I’m pretty sure she would have seen it through.”

MORE: How Princess Diana's 1997 trip to Angola helped change the world

Harry was dressed casually in a beige shirt and black trousers. Earlier in the day, he had visited a partially-cleared minefield outside Dirico, where he remotely detonated a mine.

Seeing Harry walk though a partially-cleared minefield, just like his mother did all those years ago, was an incredibly powerful sight. Photo: © Pool/Samir Hussein/WireImage

The Duke donned body armour and a protective visor for the engagement, which was to highlight the ongoing threat of the munitions in the country.

“Landmines are an unhealed scar of war. By clearing the landmines, we can help this community find peace, and with peace comes opportunity,” he said in a speech in Dirico.

MORE: The best pictures from Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s royal tour of southern Africa

While in Angola, Harry also met with representatives from the three de-mining organisations working under the UKAID-funded Global Mine Action Programme funding: The HALO Trust, Mines Advisory Group, and Norwegian People’s Aid.

This is not the first time the duke has visited Angola. He previously travelled there in 2013 to se a HALO Trust project, and also travelled to Mozambique in 2010 to see a minefield the organization was clearing.

MORE: Full coverage of Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s royal tour of southern Africa

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!