The Duke of Edinburgh was seen leaving Edward VII Hospital in London, where he was admitted four days earlier to be treated for a “pre-existing condition.” The 98-year-old husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather will now join the Queen and the Royal Family for the holidays.
“The Duke of Edinburgh has today left hospital after being discharged by his Doctor and is now back at Sandringham,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement. “His Royal Highness would like to thank everyone who sent their good wishes.”
On Dec. 20, Philip was admitted to hospital as part of a planned visit that was not an emergency, the Palace said. A day before the duke was discharged, Prince Charles was asked how his father was doing, and said he was being well looked after – and even made a bit of a joke: “When you get to that age, thanks don’t work so well!” he told a concerned member of the public in South Yorkshire.
The Queen was pictured arriving in Sandringham on the day Philip was admitted to hospital, which means she did not alter her schedule or Christmas plans due to her husband’s medical issue.
Philip became the third-oldest British royal in history earlier this year. He has seen a number of hospitalizations in recent years for things such as abdominal surgery, bladder infections and a blocked coronary artery. He also had his hip replaced in April 2018 and recovered well from the operation.
We’re happy to see the duke is well, and we’re sure he can’t wait to be with his family members at Sandringham for the holidays!