Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry's talks with the Queen, Prince William and Prince Charles went well on Jan. 13, with Her Majesty issuing a statement that the discussions had been "constructive." In it, she also all but confirmed the couple will be spending much more time in Canada, saying they would spend a "period of transition" here and in the UK.
"My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan's desire to create a new life as a young family," Her Majesty said. "Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the
Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family."
While expressing her support, the Queen also emphasized the
Duke and Duchess of Sussex's situation is full of "complex matters" to resolve, with plenty more work to be done. That said, she stated they would like "final decisions to be reached in the coming days."
Here are some questions which will be answered as Harry and Meghan move into this next phase of their lives:
What will Meghan and Harry be doing in Canada?
While practically every royals fan knows Harry and Meghan spent part of their six-week break from duties on Vancouver Island, it remains to be seen what they'll do in Canada. The Duchess of Sussex is said to have returned to our country after the couple announced their news last week. Archie was reported to have been left here in the care of his nanny and Jessica Mulroney, one of Meghan's close friends.
"Prince Harry, Meghan, and Archie, we're wishing you a quiet and blessed stay in Canada," he wrote. "You're among friends, and always welcome here."
Prince Harry, Meghan, and Archie, we’re all wishing you a quiet and blessed stay in Canada. You’re among friends, and always welcome here.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) December 21, 2019
The Sussexes have clearly taken him up on that!
HELLO! Canada reached out to the Prime Minister's Office, which told us it had no comment at this time regarding the Queen's statement that Harry and Meghan will spend a "period of transition" in Canada and the UK.
What is clear is there's plenty of good work they could do here, since the causes Harry and Meghan support tie in very nicely with Canada's strong commitment to human rights as a member of the Commonwealth, which Harry and Meghan say they want to continue to support. Let's also not forget
the duchess has deep connections here from her time living in Toronto as a cast member of Suits.
How will they receive income?
Harry and Meghan say they no longer wish to receive money through the Sovereign Grant, which they said on their Sussex Royal website gives them 5 per cent of their annual income. The Queen also acknowledged this.
"Harry and Meghan have made it clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives," she said.
It is not known whether the couple will continue to receive any income through Charles's Duchy of Cornwall, which they said on their website has been responsible for about 95 per cent of their annual earnings.
Over the weekend, it was reported Meghan had signed a voiceover deal with Disney in exchange for a donation to Elephants Without Borders just before the couple left for their six-week break from royal duties. Nothing has been confirmed with regard to work the duchess might take on after this change, but this has been seen as a strong indication that she could be aiming to make a return to Hollywood in some way.
Who will handle their security?
Over the weekend, the Sussexes made a change to their website that had to do with their security and its costs. A line that previously read, "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are classified as internationally protected people, which mandates this level of security" has since been removed.
"The provision of armed security by The Metropolitan Police is mandated by the Home Office, a ministerial department of Her Majesty's Government, responsible for security and law & order."
Who would be responsible for their security in the UK and in Canada remains one of the biggest questions for the Royal Family to sort out as the Sussexes transition into their new roles.
Justin Trudeau acknowledged this in an interview with Global News on Jan. 13. The prime minister confirmed the federal government "will play some role” in the Sussexes’ move to our country, but also says nothing has been determined as to who will handle or pay for the couple's security.
"That is part of the reflection that needs to be had, and there are discussions going on,” Justin said. “We're not entirely sure what the final decisions will be, what the dispositions are and those are decisions for them. I think most Canadians are very supportive of having royals be here, but how that looks and what kind of costs are involved, there are still lots of discussions to have."