Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan will no longer use Sussex Royal name after March

By Zach Harper

Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan's non-profit organization will not be called Sussex Royal, nor will the couple continue to use that name, a spokesperson said Feb. 21, just before the Sussexes released a statement on their website calling their transition process "saddening."

Earlier this week, it was reported the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were involved in talks about whether they would use the word "royal" going forward. In January, the couple announced they would step back from their senior royal roles. They had previously been trying to set up a non-profit organization called Sussex Royal and launched a website at sussexroyal.com the week they revealed their plans to step down.

"While the duke and duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organization, given the specific UK government rules surrounding the use of the word royal, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organization, when it is announced this spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation," a spokesperson said, according to The Guardian.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use 'SussexRoyal' in any territory post spring 2020."

We last saw Meghan and Harry at a joint royal engagement at Canada House in London on Jan. 7. Photo: © DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP via Getty Images

Late last year, it was reported Meghan and Harry had filed to trademark the planned non-profit organization. These applications were filed in June and have since been removed, a spokesperson said, according to BBC News.

"Over the last month and a half, The Duke and Duchess have remained actively involved in this process, which has understandably been saddening for The Duke and Duchess and their loyal staff, given the closeness of Their Royal Highnesses and their dedicated team," an update on their website read as of Feb. 22.

"The Royal Family respect and understand the wish of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to live a more independent life as a family, by removing the supposed ‘public interest' justification for media intrusion into their lives. They remain a valued part of Her Majesty's family."

The statement went on to say Harry remains sixth in line to the throne.

"While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organization, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word 'Royal,' it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organization will not utilize the name 'Sussex Royal' or any other iteration of 'Royal," the statement continued.

"While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarch nor Cabinet Office over the use of the word 'Royal' overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use 'Sussex Royal' or any iteration of the word 'Royal' in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs in Spring 2020."

Earlier this week, it was revealed Harry and Meghan's final single and joint engagements as senior members of the Royal Family will take place before March 31. As of April 1, they will be represented by their UK foundation team, since neither will be carrying out royal engagements on behalf of the Queen. Right now, their final engagement as senior royal family members is listed as Commonwealth Day services with the rest of the Royal Family on March 9. It's not known whether they will carry out other duties after that and before March 31.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!