Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan speak out on transition from senior royal roles in new statement

By Zach Harper

Over the weekend, Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan released a statement on their website in which they revealed the changes that will take place in their transition from royal life.

On Feb. 21, it was revealed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer use "Sussex Royal" when they step down from their senior royal roles. The couple confirmed this in a separate statement on their website, in which they said they would also not use "any other iteration of 'Royal.'" It goes on to say the Royal Family "respect and understand" the couple's decision to step down from their roles and "live a more independent life as as family."

"Over the last month and a half, The Duke and Duchess have remained actively involved in this process, which has understandably been saddening for The Duke and Duchess and their loyal staff, given the closeness of Their Royal Highnesses and their dedicated team," the message continues.

We last saw Harry and Meghan at Canada House in London on Jan. 7. Photo: © Chris Jackson/Getty Images

When they announced their intention to step down earlier this year, Harry and Meghan said they would no longer be funded by the Sovereign Grant in an effort to become financially independent. They confirmed this in their new statement, saying they would "become privately funded members of The Royal Family with permission to earn their own income and the ability to pursue their own private charitable interests."

MORE: Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan will no longer use 'Sussex Royal' name after March

Harry's work with the Invictus Games will not change with their couple's transition. Photo: © Paul Grover - WPA Pool/Getty Images

The statement confirms the couple will retain, but not use, their HRH titles and remain the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Harry will also still be sixth in line to the throne. It says he will also continue to hold his military ranks of Major and honorary ranks of Lieutenant Commander and Squadron Leader, but will not use his military appointments during this 12-month period. Harry's commitment to the Invictus Games Foundation and The Endeavour Fund, both of which see him acting in an unofficial military capacity, remain unchanged, the statement continues.

The couple also said they will continue to maintain their patronages and will "require effective security to protect them and their son."

We'll see Harry and Meghan return to the UK later this week for their final royal engagements before they officially step down from their roles on March 31. Right now, their final joint engagement is scheduled for March 9, with other members of the Royal Family at Commonwealth Day.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!