Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi cancel wedding reception due to coronavirus concerns

By Zach Harper

Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi have cancelled the wedding reception they had planned following their nuptials, which are scheduled to take place on May 29.

The couple, who announced they were engaged in September 2019, are still set to wed at the Chapel Royal at St. James's Palace in London, but will no longer hold a reception at Buckingham Palace following the ceremony due to concerns about the coronavirus.

"Princess Beatrice and Mr. Mapelli Mozzi are very much looking forward to getting married, but are equally aware of the need to avoid undertaking any unnecessary risks in the current circumstances," a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said.

"In line with government advice for the UK and beyond, the couple are reviewing their arrangements for 29th May. They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people. Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place.

"The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends."

As mentioned, the wedding ceremony itself is still scheduled for May 29. In it, Christopher, Edoardo's three-year-old son, is expected to be his father's best man. The move, which was announced last month, is intended to show the little boy – who goes by "Woolfie" – how much he means to his soon-to-be stepmother. Christopher is Edoardo's son from his relationship with Dara Huang.

Edoardo and Beatrice announced they were engaged in September and released a series of heartwarming snaps taken by Princess Eugenie, Beatrice's sister, and Misan Harriman. Edoardo proposed to his partner with a beautiful diamond ring designed by Shaun Leane, and got down on one knee while the couple were away in Italy last year.

The Royal Family has had to make a number of changes to upcoming engagements due to the coronavirus. The Queen will be moved to Windsor Castle for her Easter break on March 19, a week earlier than usual. She will not attend the Maundy Thursday service at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle on April 9. Three garden parties she hosts annually at Buckingham Palace are cancelled this year, along with two others that were to benefit the Not Forgotten Association and the National Trust. These are events where large numbers of people were scheduled to attend, the Palace says.

Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla postponed their tour of Cyprus and Jordan, which was to take place later this month, along with the Duke of Cornwall's visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Prince Edward also postponed two events he was to attend on March 16.

As of this writing, the World Health Organization says there have been more than 194,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in 164 countries. Canada has had 569 of those cases, according to Health Canada. The WHO says the illness has caused nearly 7,900 deaths worldwide.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!